Sunday, June 7, 2015

Short But Miraculous Trip to Randolph in 2013

I don't know if you believe in miracles, but I do, and this trip is one reason why I do.

After working on my wife for some time, I finally got her to agree to a short trip to Randolph in 2013. Roxana was bored there, as you can probably tell from the picture on the left, just below.  We stopped first at the R S McKinnon house (my OLD HOME) to take a series of pictures.

Once that was done, Roxana vetoed the trip to the cemetery, and wanted to head home, but she was hungry, so we stopped by Gators for a bite to eat.  After our brief meal, Roxana wanted to immediately head home.  So we went out to the car, with the intent of leaving, but as we got in the car, I asked if I could just swing by the Tabernacle parking lot for a moment.  The exact reason for that I didn't understand until a few minutes later.

As I entered into the Tabernacle's parking lot, I noted a hearse parked in front of the entrance to the building, so I thought, "Oh, oh, looks like a funeral might be about to start."  I pulled forward a bit, I saw a young lady exiting the building, and as she passed in front of me, something urged me to speak to her.  Rolling down my window, I gently called to her and asked if I could speak to her for a minute.  She was willing.  I asked if a funeral was underway, and she confirmed there would be one shortly.

Concerned that it might be someone I knew or perhaps a McKinnon, I asked for the name of the deceased.  I do not remember the name, but I was relieved that it was not a McKinnon, and I told her why I looked relieved. I said, "I have come to Randolph today with the hope of meeting a McKinnon I could talk to." After a moment of seemingly stunned silence she said, "Well, if you came to Randolph hoping to meet a McKinnon, you have done so,... my name is Debra McKinnon Kennedy."

I was stunned as I took her hand and greeted her warmly!  I asked for contact information, and she invited us back to stay at their ranch.  Promising her that we would do so, we headed home. I was very much amazed, and grateful all the way home.

Roxana and I did return in 2014, and in some ways, that trip was maybe not as miraculous, but definitely just as incredible.  You'll see what I mean in my next post.


Below are the pictures of the house and other things around it while we were there.  These were taken with my iPad, but the quality is not bad.  You can click on each image to view a larger size.






















5 comments:

  1. I recognize that house. I also lived in it. We moved out because the owners son was returning to Randolph and they wanted the house for him and his family. I clearly remember this house as it had the tallest toilet I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M. White, please seen my comment in response to yours, at:
      https://rsmckinnonhome.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. Dear M. White,

    Regrettably many things pulled my attention away from working on this blog for sometime. It was sad news that drew me back, but I'm glad it did, else I might not have seen your comment for a great deal longer. I am sorry that I didn't see it sooner, as we might have been conversing for some time now, had I seen it earlier. The sad news that drew me back was news that the new owner of the house and the property it sits on plans on tearing it down. The somewhat good news is that the new owner is still in college for a couple years and is not likely to do the demolition until after he graduates, or so I am told by a good friend who has contacts. Still, I think I am going to take a trip up there soon to get some more pictures of the place.

    You are probably referring to my Dad, Robert G. McKinnon, in your comment, as he was the son of Randolph McKinnon, who was the owner at the time my dad returned from serving in World War II. Many years later, my dad, and his 3 sons, including myself, pulled every fixture that might be useful, to the new home we were moving to, out of the old house. I do believe there was a very tall toilet in there, but I don't recall if we took it with us or not. I know it didn't end up in the house we moved into.

    I do hope that you see this response, and will enter into a dialog with me about your experiences there.

    Robert B. McKinnon (aka KyaniRob)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just happened to have this pull up on my time hope as I had posted this a few years back. I to am sad that this property sold before I could get my hands on it. I live across the street to the East of the old cabin. My little kids love to adventure over and explore as I did the same as a child. They are putting a new fence around the property that looks very nice and they have cut down trees. The big huge one in front has been cut down. I had our family Picts done there last year so I am glad we did that. Anyway just wanted to add my input as to how cool this old Mckinnon has really is. Thanks
    Cally Leavitt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always look for the best package and make sure you make the most of it when you visit there. Tour packages are always special and should be spent in the best way possible. Make sure you make your trip an indelible one.

    ReplyDelete